Phil Strout and Chris Lowney believe that the West is experiencing a leadership vacuum. Thankfully, they do not leave us without any hope for change. Hence this existence of this course and Chris’ book! We are presented here with a radically different way of understanding leadership; different, that is, from the vast majority of models espoused in the West today. This philosophy of leadership is fresh, although it is 450 years old. It is biblical, because its founder, Ignatius of Loyola, established it on scriptural principles. Plus, it carries hope for all of us, because it holds that all of us are leaders. The philosophy of leadership you will come to understand is that of the Jesuits, whose practices are so effective that their companies have changed the world. In addition to considering their leadership philosophy, Phil will contextualize it further for the believer who considers him/herself an “Empowered Evangelical”. “Empowered Evangelicals” combine the biblical emphasis of the great Evangelical tradition and the spiritual vitality of the Pentecostal and Charismatic traditions.
On completion of this course, you will have:
- Explored the theme of leadership through biblical character study.
- Understood the use of, and need for, the term ‘Heroic’ within the context of leadership.
- Studied the role and approach of St. Ignatius/Jesuits in molding innovative, risk taking, ambitious, flexible thinkers/leaders.
- Knowledge of key areas that require development within a person’s inner core to enable them to become a dynamic leader.
- Explored the importance and dynamics of ‘team’.
- Considered how to ensure fruitful longevity leadership wise.
- Considered how to apply the 16th century Jesuit principles to your life and ministry.
Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney
*The books listed are subject to change without notice until the opening of registration for each quarter/term. Please refer to the course Syllabi available during registration for all reading requirements for each course.
Registration Open: September 3rd 2018
Registration Close / Quarter Start: October 1st 2018
Course Add/Drop Ends: October 8th 2018
Quarter Close: December 9th 2018
Southland Church is a registered local ‘campus’ of Vineyard Institute.
If you are a new student you must enrol with Vineyard Institute; click the Vineyard Institute enrolment link below (Church affiliation is “Other/Southland Church“) –
After your enrolment has been approved by Vineyard Institute or if you are an existing Vineyard Institute student you need to register for ‘Heroic Leadership‘ via the student portal on the Vineyard Institute website.
To Join the optional Sunday afternoon study group at Southland Church, click the link below –
For more information check out our Southland School of Ministry information page –